2011-12 HKMS Best Thesis Award Call for Submission
The purpose of Hong Kong Mathematical Society Best Thesis Award is to recognize outstanding PhD or MPhil theses in the fields of mathematics and statistics. All submissions will go through a formal evaluation process by a panel of established scholars of the Society.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Significance of results
- Originality of work
- Clarity of presentation
- Quality of writing
Eligible of the Award are postgraduate students who have obtained or will obtain their PhD or MPhil degrees in the fields of mathematics or statistics from any local university. Their Principal supervisors must be regular faculty staff of any local university to be eligible to nominate his/her students. The theses should be submitted to the respective universities between 1 February 2010 and 31 January 2012.
Potential candidates are required to submit:
- a curriculum vitae with a list of his/her publications (no more than two pages)
- a full thesis written in English
- a letter of nomination from his/her Principal supervisor that:
- verifies his/her eligibility for the Award
- describes and evaluates the thesis’ contribution to the literature and the student’s role in the scholarship
Each recipient of the Best Thesis Award will receive an official certificate and a cash prize. Up to three awards will be made avaliable each year.
Submissions must be received no later than 10 April, 2012 to be considered for the Award. All theses must be submitted, in soft copy, to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.